Thursday, September 4, 2008

Meet Joe

This is an early sketch of the main character Joe.

I met this character one night, a few years ago, as I was thinking how impossible it was for me to finish a story I was working on for the Rising Stars Of Manga Competition. I just couldn't get that story to gel. As I was laying in bed this Character popped into my head and introduced himself.
"Hi, I'm Joe! "
He continued " I'm just and average guy. I wasn't good enough for Heaven or bad enough for hell..." I got up and wrote the beginnings of this story as it came to me.
My best friend and I had been brainstorming months before about story ideas and one idea we had discussed was sparked by a joke we heard about two demons "darned to heck." We wondered what being "darned to heck" would be like. We figured it would be an annoying place but not so bad as to be hellish. But you really wouldn't want to be there. It's a place seeming ruled by Murphy's law. And we came up with an idea for a story about a bunch of kids who died and went to heck. We called it "Oh, My Heck!" Joe was not part of that cast of characters. He got there before they did. I realized had the back story and it was quite a fun story to tell.

No comments: